- Past Perfect Continuous Tense Pdf
- Past Continuous Tense And Past Perfect Continuous
- Present Perfect Simple Tense And Present Perfect Continuous
- Past Continuous Tense Vs Past Perfect Continuous Tense
The present perfect continuous and the past perfect continuous are quite similar. However, the main difference between the two is that the present perfect continuous refers to time in the present while the past perfect continuous refers to time in the past.
Before we go into the differences between these two verbtenses, it is important to understand them separately.
The Past Continuous Tense only shows continuity, on the other hand, The Past Perfect Continuous Tense shows also continuity and duration of a past event or state (or puts emphasized on the duration).
- Past Simple Tense! When talking about an action which has happened in the past, you will need to use the past simple tense. However, before you can begin confidently using this tense, it is important to learn the rules which surround it.
- The present perfect continuous (also called present perfect progressive) is a verb tense which is used to show that an action started in the past and has continued up to the present moment. The present perfect continuous usually emphasizes duration, or the amount of time that an action has been taking place.
Usage of the PresentPerfect Continuous
Past Perfect Continuous Tense Pdf
The present perfect continuous is an action that started inthe past and continuous up to the present. It may be just finishing now orstill continuing. List of hard to pronounce words.
Actions started inthe past and continuing till now
You can use the present perfect continuous verb tense todescribe long actions that started in the past and continue till the present.
'Hello' is a song performed by French DJ and record producer Martin Solveig and Canadian synthpop band Dragonette, taken from the former's fifth studio album, Smash (2011). The song was released as the album's lead single on 6 September 2010 by Mercury Records. (on the phone) hello, juliet’s. Speak - Grammar Quiz. From across the room, Romeo sees Juliet and asks a serving-man who she is. The serving-man does not know. Romeo is transfixed; Rosaline vanishes from his mind and he declares that he has never been in love until this moment. Moving through the crowd, Tybalt hears and recognizes Romeo’s voice. & Juliet is a 2019 musical featuring the music of Max Martin, with a book by David West Read. The story focuses on 'what if' Juliet had not died at the end of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet Plot Act One. At the first production of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, the audience welcomes Shakespeare to the stage.
- She hasbeen living in California for 7 years.
- We havebeen going to the same beach for summer my whole life.
- Frank hasbeen studying for the test all week.
Recent actions thathave results now
You can use this verb tense to talk about recent actionsthat have clear results in the present.
- He is late for the meeting because he has been talking with his friends andforgot the time.
- Susie’s muscles are sore because she has been working out all day yesterday.
- We are tired because we have being studying all evening.
You can use this verb tense to talk about temporarysituations.
- Have youbeen studying?
- Have theybeen playing all day?
- Has Susie been preparing for the exam?
If you would like to learn more, check out the Present Perfect Continuous Tense.
Past Continuous Tense And Past Perfect Continuous
Usage of the PastPerfect Continuous
The past perfect continuous is an action that continued fora period of time in the past.
Past actions thatcontinued for a period of time before another action
You can use the past perfect continuous verb tense toexpress an action it the past that took place for a period of time beforeanother action in the past.
- We hadbeen studying for the exam when the teacher sent an email saying it wascanceled.
- They hadbeen playing outside when the weather got worse.
- Susie hadbeen playing video games when her mother told her to come down for dinner.
Duration of an actionin the past
You can use the past perfect continuous tense to express theduration of an action in the past that comes before something else.
Present Perfect Simple Tense And Present Perfect Continuous
- I really needed this vacation because I had been working really hard at workfor the last 3 months.
- They really needed a break because they had been working for 8 hours straight.
- We really needed to sit down because we had been standing up all day long.
Cause of something inthe past
Past Continuous Tense Vs Past Perfect Continuous Tense
You can use the past perfect continuous to express the causefor something in the past.
- I was hungry because I had been working out.
- Susie was tired because she had been driving.
- We were thirsty because we had been jogging.
Differences Betweenthe Two Tenses
As you can see, the present perfect continuous and pastperfect continuous both describe event that start in the past.
The main difference is
The present perfect continuous relates the present (rightnow)
The past perfect continuous relates only to the past
Complete the following sentences with either the present perfect continuous or the past perfect continuous verb tense.