- Other And Another English Grammar
- Other Vs Others English Grammar
- Other Vs Others English Grammar Rules
- In this English grammar video, learn how to use OTHER and ANOTHER. When should I use other and another? What’s the difference between other.
- This is a quiz for students of English as a second language. You can take this quiz and then check your answers right away. Another, The Other, The Others, Others Make a choice by clicking on the radio button, then compare it with the correct answer hidden under the answer button. There's no way to do it. Other the other another.
- Other, another, others, the others. Purchase photocopiable PDF Purchase photocopiable PDF Please choose the most appropriate answer for each sentence. 1 There are ten pieces of fruit in my basket.
Another vs Other Exercise Each Other / Every Other / Others (the) Other(s), Another, Each Other, Every Other. Home English Grammar Exercises Another vs Other Exercise. Print exercises and lessons: Hint: For exercises, you can reveal the answers first ('Submit Worksheet') and print the page to have the exercise and the answers. Others is a pronoun. Others can be used to take the place of the word other, followed by a plural countable noun.
Quick Summary: What is the difference between another and other?
A simple rule to help you remember the difference between another and other is:
another + singular noun
other + plural noun
others (a pronoun to replace other + plural noun)
- I need another cup. (cup is singular so we use another)
- I need other cups. (cups is plural so we use other)
- I need others. (refers to other cups)
When to use ANOTHER
- one more, an additional, an extra
- a different one; an alternative one
Another is a determiner (and a qualifier) that goes before a singular countable noun or a pronoun.
Other And Another English Grammar
Another + Singular Countable noun
Another can be followed by a singular countable noun.
- He has bought another motorbike.
- Would you like another cup of coffee?
- Don’t worry about the rain. We can go another day.
- I think you should paint it another color.
- We are having another baby.
Another + One
Another can be placed before “one” when the meaning is clear from the text before it.
- I have already eaten two sandwiches though now I want another one. (= an additional sandwich)
- A: You can borrow more of these books if you like. B: Ok, I’ll take another one. (= another book, one more book)
Another as a pronoun
Sometimes another is used as a pronoun.
Other Vs Others English Grammar
- That piece of cake was tasty. I think I’ll have another. (another = one more piece of cake)
- I don’t like this room. Let’s ask for another. (another = another room)
Note: you can also say: “I think I’ll have another one.” and “Let’s ask for another one.”
Another + number + plural noun
Another can be used before a plural noun when there is a number before that noun or before phrases such as a couple of, a few etc.
- In another 20 years my laptop is going to be obsolete.
- I like this city so much that I’m going to spend another three days here.
- We need another three teachers before classes begin.
- He was given another couple of months to finish the sculpture.
Remember another is ONE word not two words (an other is incorrect)
When to use OTHER
Other is a determiner that goes before plural countable nouns, uncountable nouns or a pronoun.
Other + Plural Countable Noun
Other can be followed by a plural countable noun.
- We have other styles if you are interested.
- Have you got any other dresses, or are these the only ones?
- Some days are sunny though other days can be very rainy.
- I have invited some other people.
- I can’t help you because I’m busy with other things.
Other + Ones
Other can be placed before the pronoun “ones” when the meaning is clear from the text before it.
The Screenplay Database. Level: beginner to advanced. This website provides over. Speak with: David. Speak with: En=ticket agent. Speak your answers to the dialogue (when it's your turn). Record your answers to the dialogue (when it's your turn). Then replay your recording and compare each recorded part to the original. Start Recording. Since most short films are around 15 minutes long, all the conversations are usually short and to the point. This allows you to listen to conversations over and over to gain a better understanding of how natural English speech flows. You can learn with short films even more effectively on FluentU. Learn english with movie dialogues.
- We don’t need those books, we need other ones. (= different books)
- A: You can borrow my books if you like. B: Thanks, but I need other ones. (= other books)
Other Vs Others English Grammar Rules
Note: you can say other one when it refers to wanting the alternative.
- I don't want this one, I want the other one.
Others as a pronoun
Others replaces “other ones” or 'other + plural noun'.
Only others can be used as a pronoun and not other.
- I don’t like these postcards. Let’s ask for others. (others = other postcards)
- Some of the presidents arrived on Monday. Others arrived the following day.
Others - the others
Often “(the) others” refers to “(the) other people”.
- He has no interest in helping others. (= in helping other people)
- What are the others doing tonight?
What is the difference between other and others?
Other is followed by a noun or a pronoun
Others is a pronoun and is NOT followed by a noun.
- These shoes are too small. Do you have any other shoes?
- These shoes are too small. Do you have any others? (no noun after others)
Try our game to practice the difference between Another, Other and Others.
Read more about Quantifiers in English.
If you found this English Grammar about Another vs. Other vs. Others interesting or useful, let others know about it: