Modals of Advice 1 - Should, Ought to, Had Better
Www.autoenglish.org Written by Bob Wilson ©Robert Clifford McNair Wilson 2007 Can, Could, May and Might Exercise Use one of the modal verbs in brackets to fill each gap. Modals Modals in Past Will Might Should May Must Would Would have Could have Might have Ought to Had better Shall Could Can Should have May have Must have. Longest word in english. Single Concept Modal Modal Concept Examples Will Future Joe will travel to NY next week Might Small probability I.
Choose the best modal for each sentence.
- A: I'm so hot.
B: You _________________ your coat!
- should to take off
- should take off
- should put on
- It's raining and I don't want to get my dress wet. I _________________ an umbrella.
- had better bring
- had better to bring
- had better not bring
- My mother isn't feeling well, so I told her that she _______________ to the doctor.
- ought to go
- ought go
- Dave loves chocolate, but he _________________ too much or he will get fat.
- should eat not
- should eat
- shouldn't eat
- I'm going to visit your country. Where _______________ if I want to go shopping?
- I should go
- should I go
- ought to I go
- The airline only allows two pieces of luggage. You _________________ pack too much or you will have to take it out at the airport!
- better not
- had not better
- had better not
- A: I think that the grade my teacher gave me on my test is wrong.
B: Really? You ______________ to her after class today.
- ought to talk
- ought talk
- should to talk
- I need help, doctor. My baby doesn't sleep well. What ________________ ?
- should I do
- I should do
- had I better do