How Leather is Graded (And Why You Should Know) When you buy a real leather item — a handbag, coat, wallet, or other leather goods — you will generally find a stamp on the underside of the skin that categorizes it as top-grain, full-grain, split-grain, or genuine leather. While leather is usually categorized into five different grades of leather (the four mentioned above, plus bonded. Synonyms for leather include skin, hide, pelt, fur, cowhide, goatskin, oxhide, sheepskin, fleece and fell. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! Leather is treated animal skin, usually from cows, which is used for making shoes, clothes, bags, and furniture. He wore a leather jacket and dark trousers. More Synonyms of leather COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary.
All these 4 letter adjectives are validated using recognized English dictionaries. Adjectives in laymen words are the class of words that used to describe, clarify or modify a noun or a pronoun. Adjectives give extra information about the focused object's size, quantity, age, color, shape etc. Form - order of adjectives When we use two or more adjectives, we generally use adjectives about the individual noun first and about the type of noun last, with opinions (suggesting good or bad) first and facts last. This table shows a common order of adjectives: opinion shape age.
Typical adjective endings
- They live in a beautiful house.
- Lisa is wearing a sleeveless shirt today. This soup is not edible.
- She wore a beautiful dress.
- He writes meaningless letters.
- This shop is much nicer.
- She wore a beautiful dress.
- Ben is an adorable baby.
- Linda’s hair is gorgeous.
- This glass is breakable.
- I met a homeless person in NY.
Available everywhere you write
Denominal adjective examples
- A mathematical puzzle.
- A biological experiment.
- A wooden boat.
- I married an American woman.
- The Jewish community in NY is very big.
- Mary has a collection of expensive Russian dolls.
- In the winter you must wear heavy woollen clothes.
- The polar bear is listed as threatened.
Order of adjective examples
- I love that really big old green antique car that is always parked at the end of the street. [quality – size – age – color – qualifier]
- My sister has a beautiful big white bulldog. [quality – size – color]
- A wonderful old Italian clock. [opinion – age – origin]
- A big square blue box. [size – shape – color]
- A disgusting pink plastic ornament. [opinion – color – material]
- Some new slim French trousers. [age – shape – origin]
- My small new red sleeping bag. [size – age – color – purposee]
- I bought a pair of black leather shoes. [color – material]
Comparing adjective examples
- This house is bigger than that one.
- This flower is more beautiful than that.
- He is taller than Mr. Hulas.
- He is more intelligent than this boy.
- Jonathan is the most handsome man on campus.
- This is the prettiest dress in the window.
- I lost my most comfortable shoes.
- My job is worse than yours.
Compound adjectives examples
- This is a four-foot table.
- Daniella is a part-time worker.
- This is an all-too-common error.
- Beware of the green-eyed monster.
- He is a cold-blooded man.
- We saw a man-eating shark!
- Danny’s dog is well-behaved.
- You have to be open-minded about things.
Adjectival phrase examples
- Susan is really clever.
- The doctor is very late.
- My sister is fond of animals.
- I am happy to meet you.
- The kids are ready to go.
- Don’t be afraid of the dark.
- Tony lost his dark brown briefcase.
- He’s an extraordinary looking man.
For more examples, read our comprehensive lists of adjectives in the English language.